After the recent rainy weather we were extremely fortunate to have a fine, clear morning for our 2016 Dawn Service. We again had a magnificent Poppy display, and a large crowd in excess of 500 attended a very moving Dawn Service.
We were honoured that we had a large attendance by relatives of those on the Memorial:
The new relatives this year were:
Private Frederick John Aplin killed Somme 8 November 1916.
Nephew who drove up from Canberra for the day with his wife.
Relatives of the following returned after being present at previous Anzac Days:
All the relatives have been invited back in future years.
We were also honoured to have participation by our local MP’s: the Hon Craig Laundy, Federal Member for Reid; and Mr John Sidoti, State Member for Drummoyne.
After the Service, a wonderful lunch was prepared and served by the Country Club staff and a most enjoyable time was had by all. The Mayor of Canada Bay Cr Angelo Tsirekas attended the lunch together with the Hon Craig Laundy.
Thanks to all who made the day a success:
- Braxton Jones our Bugler resplendent in his uniform.
- Robert Ridge and the Country Club staff: we could not have a day without them!
- Breakfast Point Men’s Shed for their early start setting up and manning the Legacy buckets.
- The resident Knitters for the red poppies.
- Rotary Club of Breakfast Point for the great bacon & egg rolls.
- Breakfast Point Realty and Club Five Dock for donation of wreaths.
- The residents who donated memorabilia for the display.
- All the people behind the scenes at the Community Association.
- Mick Gordon for his music and equipment.
- You, the Residents.